Croatia - Istrian Fuzi with Truffle Cream Sauce
Did somebody say truffles?!
Aneri's note: I have not been to Croatia, but I plan to in the next couple years. Which means I'll be updating this blog! It's considered one of the most beautiful countries in eastern europe.
Istrian Fuzi with Truffle Cream Sauce
Difficulty level (1-10): 4
Don't be intimidated by these ingredients. You can find all of them at a local Italian supermarket. Yes, it will a more expensive pasta to make at home, but still cheaper than ordering at a restaurant! Truffles are a luxury item and usually come in small quantities. But boy do they pack punch in flavor. This recipe mixes paste and fresh truffles, which comes out really delicious! Fuzi noodles are just rolled up pasta noodles. If you can't find them, just use penne!
Fuzi - 10 oz
Heavy cream - 3/4 cup
Butter - 2 TB
Truffle paste - 1/4 cup
Whole Black truffles - 1-2, grated
Parmesan - to taste
Salt and pepper - to taste
1. Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil and add the Fuzi noodles (I bought these at a local Italian market). Cook al dente (should be slightly hard when tasting), about 8 minutes.
2. In a separate sauce pan, melt the butter, add the black truffle paste and stir over a medium heat until bubbling.
3. Add the heavy cream.
4. Add Parmesan to your liking (I used 1/4 cup), salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Stir constantly, cook down the sauce until thick and turn off the heat.
6. Place the cooked fuži on your serving dish, add truffle cream sauce, and top with a few grated pieces of black truffle. Add more salt, pepper, and Parmesan to taste and indulge!
Like this recipe? Try these other pasta favorites! Austrian Käsespätzle