Updated: Jun 15, 2021
For the yogurt and herb lovers
Aneri's note: I have not been to Azerbaijan, but my husband's cousin and wife lived in Baku for a year! They really enjoyed their time there and it's a country off the beaten track, but full of tourism potential.
Difficulty level (1-10): 6
Dovga is a yogurt soup that is considered a national dish! It can be eaten warm or cold. This soup is sure to delight yogurt lovers! A must for anyone who has their own herb garden!
Water - 4 cups
Yogurt - 3 cups plain
Garbanzo beans - 8 oz
Cilantro bunch - finely chopped
Dill bunch - finely chopped
Mint - 1 TB, finely chopped
Spinach - 1/4 lb, chopped
Garlic - 4 cloves
Parsley - 1 bunch
Egg - 1
Rice - 1/3 cup
All purpose flour - 1 TB
1. Chop spinach and herbs and set aside
2. Put yogurt into a saucepan and mix with the egg. Add flour and rice and mix.
3. Add water and stir well. Turn on medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
4. Add chopped herbs and garlic
5. Simmer until rice is cooked and then add the garbanzo beans. Don’t add salt during the cooking process as that makes yogurt curdle.
6. Cool at either room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
This recipe was adapted from 196 Flavors and other sources.
Want to try more foods from Azerbaijan? Check the below out!
A bunch of vegetarian recipes from Flavors of Baku